nis module error

Andrew MacIntyre andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au
Tue Jul 18 07:17:53 EDT 2000

[sent to both originator & python-list]

On Mon, 17 Jul 2000, Jacob Hunt wrote:

> Traceback (innermost last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
> ImportError: /usr/lib/python1.5/lib-dynload/nismodule.so: undefined
> symbol: yperr_string
>
> what does this mean?  How can I correct the problem or is there a way
> around it.

nismodule.so wasn't linked with the library containing the "yperr_string"
symbol, or the dynamic linker can't find the library containing it.

you'll need to find out which library on your system contains this symbol
and make sure that ld.conf or LD_LIBRARY_PATH contain the directory
containing this library.

if this still doesn't fix the problem, you'll need to rebuild the nis
module (from source) with the correct library specifications - the setup
file in the modules directory of the Python source will need to be
doctored to add the necessary library reference (see the Tkinter section
of that file for ideas on how to do this).

E-mail: andrew.macintyre at aba.gov.au    (work) | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au  (play) |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
        andymac at pcug.org.au           (play2) |        Australia