Perl is worse!

Suchandra Thapa ssthapa at midway.uchicago.edu
Sat Jul 29 15:52:56 EDT 2000

Grant Edwards <nobody at nowhere.nohow> wrote:
>As long as the conversion can guarantee no information loss, I wouldn't have
>a problem with it.  I've yet to use a language that can make that guarantee.
>I guess I never looked into the details in Python (haven't done much
>numerical stuff yet).  I had sort of assumed that floating point values were
>32 bit, but if they're 64, then as you say, the problem is postponed until
>long ints are involved.

    I believe scheme can guarantee no information loss for the conversion
listed above since it has an explicit rational type.  I suspect lisp
may have similar features. Some of the functional languages like haskell
and ML may do the same.  If not, it should be relatively easy to add such
a by introducing a rational type and coercion routines for ints to rationals.
Incidently, ML is a completely type safe language and people who use it
like the fact that if your program compiles then there are guaranteed to
be no type errors in it at all.

Suchandra S. Thapa
s-thapa at uchicago.edu