Postscript font metrics?

Paul Winkler slinkp23 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 4 13:47:28 EDT 2000

I need to generate some nice Postscript output from a python script,
and I'm finding that I need to get at the font metrics info from the
.afm files so I can place things correctly. (Either that or write
*everything* in postscript -- no way!!)

I can't find anything like this on Parnassus. Anyone ever seen any
python code that gets the useful info from .afm files?

If not, I might have a go at hacking the relevant parts of the Perl
PostScript-Font-1.02 module into Python... but then I'll have to
(yuck) read someone else's Perl code, which I haven't done in a
looong time and I was never that good at it.

--
slinkP arts:   music, sound, illustration, design, etc.