Content of the Perl6 talk

Dan Kuchler kuchler at ajubasolutions.com
Fri Jul 28 16:31:29 EDT 2000

Andreas Kupries wrote:

> <quote http://www.perl.org/perl6/initial_meeting.html>
> > Syntax separation - multiple syntaxes ?
> > Perl6 offers the possibility to ... write Perl programs in multiple
> > syntaxes such as Python, JavaScript, and Perl5 ...
>
> This reminds me of Guile, which tried to do the same thing, no ?
> Universal lisp engine below, multiple formats for programming it
> above. Here just with the perl engine below. A try to unify
> interpreters ? See also Jean-Claude's Minotaur, using a forth engine
> below and beside interpreters for several scripting languages to allow
> them to use each other (and their extensions) hither and fro. With the
> long-term goal to make each interpreter a set of routines above the
> universal forth engine below. Hm.

I understood this to mean that for perl 6 they might try to architect
it into a front-end/back-end style where the front-end has a parsing
engine (and translator to byte codes or some intermediary language?)
and then the backend provides the code for actually implementing the
various commands.

If done correctly, only the perl front end would have to be
implemented,
but it would give others the opportunity for trying to write some
new syntax (which could be like tcl, python, etc.) that would work
with the existing perl backend.

That was how I envisioned that bullet might be implemented..

--Dan