Perl is worse!

Grant Edwards nobody at nowhere.nohow
Fri Jul 28 21:26:21 EDT 2000

In article <8lsu2a02ho4 at news2.newsguy.com>, Alex Martelli wrote:

>7 bits and up, anything goes.  But everything else's size (except
>for bit-fields, a peculiar oddity) is a multiple of char's size,
>so the latter's size is often called a 'byte' (which need not be
>the same thing as an 'octet', though it often is:-).

And all hell generally breaks loose when it isn't -- especially when two
programs are communicating and they have differing defintions of how many
bits there are in a byte.  But that's a whole different rant.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I wonder if I ought
                                  at               to tell them about my