POOP / Python (Object Oriented Persistence) ?

Tony J Ibbs (Tibs) tony at lsl.co.uk
Tue Jul 11 08:10:07 EDT 2000

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> > It sounds to me as if this would
> > be a useful thing to layer on top of a COM or CORBA interface to
> (for instance) an existing GIS, taking advantage of whatever versioning,
> > locking, etc., that that existing software provides.
>
> Hm, I'm not quite sure what you mean here. What's a GIS?

Sorry. Geographical Information System. The better ones (for example, the
system produced by the company I work for) are already object oriented, with
versioning, etc. "Free-standing" things like integers and lists aren't
persistent, but the objects relating to geographic data are, and they can be
quite interesting of themselves. But it sounds like this would require
*serious* design commitment...

> > So, why isn't this better known?
>
> I think because the Python and Zope worlds are quite a bit apart in some
> ways. Of course there's lots of overlap, but your average Zope user isn't
> necessarily well aware of the Python community and vice versa. Of course
> AMK's article is probably specifically an attempt to make the ZODB more
> well known.
>
> It'd also help if the ZODB could be easily downloaded as a
> package by itself.

That's my main gripe at the moment, I think. I'll have to make some comments
on the "Feedback" slots at digicool, or somewhere - but not today!

Tibs

--
Tony J Ibbs (Tibs)      http://www.tibsnjoan.demon.co.uk/
Well we're safe now....thank God we're in a bowling alley.