Perl is worse! (was: Python is Wierd!)

Ben Wolfson rumjuggler at cryptarchy.org
Fri Jul 28 23:25:42 EDT 2000

On Fri, 28 Jul 2000 22:01:20 GMT, grey at despair.rpglink.com (Steve Lamb)
wrote:

>>>    Let's pause and reflect on a single element not being able to be a single
>>>element.
>
>>You are, I think, deliberately misinterpreting me.
>
>>Any single element can't be "a single element or a sequence".  It can only
>>be a single element.
>
>    Nope, just grokking what is said.  If it was a typo, please say so.  From
>what I see above in the 2nd line is the statement that any single element
>can not be a single element.  Say single element is a and we get a != a.

Ah.  What I meant, and perhaps didn't express very well, is that while a
sequence can be interpreted as either a single element, or a set of
elements, a single element cannot be interpreted that way (that is, as a
single element or a set of elements).  It can only be interpreted as a
single element.

I was thinking syllogistically; if all A is B, then any A can be either A
or B, but any B can't necessarily be either B or A--it can only be B.

--
Barnabas T. Rumjuggler

More than half the people on the planet are female.
OR WYMMYN AS WE LIKE TO CALL THEM IN THE TRADE!!
 -- Beable van Polasm