Python in game development?

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Thu Jul 20 10:33:26 EDT 2000

Martijn Faassen wrote:

> >From a game programming perspective, you can probably consider Python to
> be dirt-slow, though. The trade-off is a lot of power for speed, but
> that power can help you gain back speed because you can be a lot smarter.

Python is dirt-slow if you are going to write a whole game in it. But is
it really much slower than the embedded scripting languages these games
sometimes have?
"Hardly anything more unwelcome can befall a scientific writer than
having the foundations of his edifice shaken after the work is
finished.  I have been placed in this position by a letter from
Mr. Bertrand Russell..."
 - Frege, Appendix of Basic Laws of Arithmetic (of Russell's Paradox)