Python in game development?

Michael Hudson mwh21 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Jul 24 07:26:48 EDT 2000

Ronald Steedman <steedman at quake.cs.fsu.edu> writes:

>  A full compile of a complex software package can often take 30 seconds or
>  more. That can be frustrating when you're trying to find and remove bugs.
>  You try one thing, wait 30 seconds, try another thing, wait 30 seconds...
>
>  Imagine how an intepreter would help. Try one thing IMMEDIATELY SEE THE
>  RESULT... try another thing IMMEDIATELY SEE THE RESULT... then you only
>  compile the application when you're finished and want a faster program.
>
>  I like how Visual Basic offers both compiled and interpreted programs. I
>  would like to see Visual C++ follow suit. :)

Another major advantage of dynamic languages like Python (or lisp or
...) is that you can easily poke around at the data structures at
runtime (which is rather less tedious than stopping your debugging
session, adding some code to dump said data structures to a file,
recompiling, getting your program back to the state you want to debug,
then looking at the file, trying to remember why you created it).

guess-what-I'm-doing-today-ly y'rs
Michael

--
  I'm okay with intellegent buildings, I'm okay with non-sentient
  buildings. I have serious reservations about stupid buildings.