zip() : how about braid()

Jürgen Hermann jhe at webde-ag.de
Thu Jul 20 04:15:28 EDT 2000

"Michal Wallace" <sabren at manifestation.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:Pine.BSF.4.10.10007191838040.26945-100000 at chi.pair.com...
> I accidentally deleted the list of proposed names for "zip()", so I'm
> not sure if this was alrady mentioned..  I think merge makes sense,
> (and I don't really have a problem with zip()), but the metaphor that
> most closely resembles what it does is braid(), as in hair..

I do have a problem with zip, namely that I think of compression first (and
I did when i first read about zip(), and wondered what the hell it had to do
with sequences).

merge() is the best yet, since it's a common (programming) term with a
well-defined meaning. Don't forget EnglishAsA2nd speakers, which won't know
what "braid" is all about, but are likely to know merge.

OK, to add some confusion, paste() would be possible too (compare to the
UNIX command).

Bye, Jürgen