Bug hunting (was Re: Python in game development?)

Aahz Maruch aahz at netcom.com
Tue Jul 25 06:20:08 EDT 2000

In article <397D1F01.214C4F52 at my.signature>,
Greg Ewing  <see at my.signature> wrote:

>The ability to watch your program execute is an extremely powerful way
>to track down the causes of bugs. You know what the program is supposed
>to do; the program is actually doing something different. If you can
>watch the program execute step by step, it becomes instantly obvious
>where they diverge. Usually it's also instantly obvious what has to be
>done to fix it, since often it's just some simple oversight.

That's assuming that it's not a race condition in a multi-process
system, of course.  :-(

(We had a really narsty problem with MS SQL Server a few months back.)
--
                      --- Aahz (Copyright 2000 by aahz at netcom.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

Zie is so far from a clue that it would take a sub-light vessel several
years to reach one.  --Aahz