Microsoft's C# (Sharp) & .NET -- A Heads Up

Mark Hammond MarkH at ActiveState.com
Mon Jul 3 19:22:38 EDT 2000

"Alex Martelli" <alex at magenta.com> wrote in message
news:8jqbru017gf at news2.newsguy.com...

> I believe the only relevant issue for the Python community
> is: C#, like every other Microsoft offering in recent times,
> will be *STRONGLY* oriented to COM.  Every C# object will be
> a COM object (just like every Java object was one when run
> under Microsoft's Java VM), etc, etc.

Its a little more complicated than that!

> So, C#'s possible (unlikely...) emergence as a major language
> is just the N-plus-1-th motivation for Windows versions of
> Python to support COM *very, VERY* well.

And that!

> Yeah, I know, I should put my coding efforts where my mouth
> is -- and, having expended substantial efforts doing just
> this sort of thing for a proprietary scripting language

Please do.  Typelib work may be kicking off again (if I ever clear my
inbox that is - sorry John - I havent forgotten you :-)  A framework for
calling arbitary vtable interfaces is also in place.  So what you will
find is that it needs less "framework" code, and more a motivated and
skilled person to pull a few of these "late" pieces together.  My
motivation WRT win32com now is more towards keeping the status-quo - and
helping _others_ change it :-)

> Re .NET -- I dunno, and I wish I did!

All will be revlealed after the PDC; less than 2 weeks.  I can safely say
(as this is a Python language newgroup and C# is apparently a "competing"
language), the Python community will probably be more interested in .NET
than in C#.  _Quite_ a bit more :-)

> I'll do y'all a favour and summarize them into basically
> two stances:
>     "It's Microsoft and thus evil, vapourware, immoral,
>         and/or fattening"
>     "It's Microsoft and thus good, splendid, progressive,
>         and/or sexy"

Well put :-)

> I do wonder what other items that have technical reality
> are in .NET besides C#, XML, and SOAP.  If any, that is.

There are - and a number of them.

Mark.