Microsoft's C# (Sharp) & .NET -- A Heads Up

Moshe Zadka moshez at math.huji.ac.il
Thu Jul 27 01:13:25 EDT 2000

On Thu, 27 Jul 2000, Mark Hammond wrote:

> Better than "VERY high" - they have already done it.  MS have been
> _excellent_ at listening to 3rd party language feedback.  For example, the
> functional language guys are very impressed that MS managed to get tail
> recursion instructions in the VM, in time for the PDC.  No current or
> future MS languages have this requirement, and not even any of the
> (expected to be successful) commercial languages - it was done exclusively
> for the "little languages".

Hmmm...this sounds positively interesting. Do you know if there is similar
support for continuations? IOW, can Scheme be supported on IL?

> But to address your point:  JPython is _not_ a perfect emulation of
> CPython, but it does allow you entry to the Java playground.  Python .NET
> is similar - I don't expect anyone will use it when they want to work in
> an exclusively Python environment, just like almost no one uses JPython in
> that way now...

That's sad -- JPython, CPython and Python .NET should feel the *same*.
That's why we have a standard (the Python Language Reference Manual).
I truly hope JPython and Python .NET (is that the official name) will be
similar enough to CPython that Python code will work across them
seamlessly.

--
Moshe Zadka <moshez at math.huji.ac.il>
There is no IGLU cabal.