Perl is worse! (was: Python is Wierd!)

Steve Lamb grey at despair.rpglink.com
Sat Jul 29 22:47:39 EDT 2000

On Sun, 30 Jul 2000 01:48:32 GMT, Grant Edwards <nobody at nowhere.nohow> wrote:
>I concur. In non-programming, life is strictly typed. Allowed
>operations are determined by the type of the object. You can't
>make a phone call on a waffle-iron.  Were I to _try_ to make a
>phone call on a waffle-iron, it doesn't "automagically" convert
>istelf into a telephone.  Instead, I get a rather interesting
>burn pattern on the side of my head.

    Whoops, exited too fast.  When I started programming it was in Turbo
Pascal 3.  I had the absolutely WORST time with that language at that time
because of typing because I couldn't just do what I thought was logical.
Furthermore the casting also didn't work in any manner that I thought logical,
either.  I hit the same problem in C.  I really, REALLY despised being told
that what I wanted to wasn't possible when I knew darn well it /was/.