The State of Python

Guido van Rossum guido at beopen.com
Wed Jul 26 20:38:55 EDT 2000

I've placed the slides of my talk at the O'Reilly Open Source
Convention on-line at our BeOpen PythonLabs website:

    http://www.pythonlabs.com/talks.html

We're also very close to announcing news regarding a new Python
license, Python 1.6 and 2.0 release schedules, and a transition of the
python.org website to hosting by VA Linux.

The announcement is waiting for final negotiations about GPL
compatibility of the new license; BeOpen's CTO, Bob Weiner, is
confident that the issue will be resolved one way or another by
Friday.

A preview of what we will announce:

  - A new license for Python 1.6 and later: the "CNRI Open Source
  License", approved by the Open Source Initiative;

  - Release plans for Python 1.6: the last CNRI release, to be issued
  with help from BeOpen;

  - Release plans for Python 2.0: the first release to be issued by
  BeOpen;

  - A transition for the python.org website: it will be hosted by VA
  Linux (home of SourceForge), under supervision of the Python
  Consortium and myself, maintained by the Python community.

Please hold your breath a little longer!

A re-release of JPython using the CNRI Open Source License is possible
a little later, pending further negotiations with CNRI.

--Guido van Rossum (home page: http://www.pythonlabs.com/~guido/)