Python plug-ins for Adobe Products available

Edward Jason Riedy ejr at lotus.CS.Berkeley.EDU
Sun Jul 30 16:00:47 EDT 2000

And Grant Munsey writes:
 -
 - Thanks for the compliment ... it wasn't exactly easy to convince Adobe
 - that they should have an open source site. I'm hoping it will grow as time
 - goes on.

Thank you for working with them.  Adobe's never been terribly easy
to work with, ime, so your effort is greatly appreciated.  I still
think they could make a good deal of money selling Framemaker, etc.
even if they were free software (especially by bundling fonts),
but...  And then there are the patent issues in the graphics software.
sigh...

 - This might be useful for someone who finds SWIGs allowable parameter
 - types a bit to restrictive.

Are you aware of cxx.sourceforge.net?  It's a very nice package to
help integrate C++ and Python.  I'm not sure if it applies directly,
but it may be worth a look.

 - I said the license is liberal because I'm happy it turned out that way ...

The license is very nice indeed.  I'm shocked Adobe did something
like that.

 - I wrote the plug-ins for the Adobe products because I wanted them.

That's perfectly fair.  I just wanted people to know that there are
free alternatives that could use the help.  Sketch is particularly
interesting; it's written in Python.  So you not only get the
benefits of working in a nice language, you also get the benefits
of working with free software.

 - What really worries me is the wrangling over the Python license ...

Yes, that bothers me, too.  I don't want to have to think about the
license, and the current one allows that.

Jason