Arbitrary operator symbols (Re: Operators for matrix: current choices)

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Thu Jul 20 02:51:25 EDT 2000

Greg Ewing wrote:

> The main problem I see with any kind of scheme requiring
> new operators to be defined before use is how you control
> their scope.

Tim warned against spending a lot of energy on a runtime operator
definition mechanism. He's not Guido but he felt pretty strongly that he
was channelling Guido when he said: "Just choose some operators for
matrix multiplication and do not either try to define meanings for them
over other operations nor try to make the operators dynamically loadable
or creatable.

"Hardly anything more unwelcome can befall a scientific writer than
having the foundations of his edifice shaken after the work is
finished.  I have been placed in this position by a letter from
Mr. Bertrand Russell..."
 - Frege, Appendix of Basic Laws of Arithmetic (of Russell's Paradox)