MySQL, mSQL, or other database

Michael Zawrotny zawrotny at gecko.sb.fsu.edu
Fri Jul 28 08:13:08 EDT 2000

Andre,

On Fri, 28 Jul 2000, Andre van Straaten <andre at UltraShell.Net> wrote:
> Adam Durity <fatman40k at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I'm on a fairly tight budget so is there any way i can use MySQL,
> > mSQL, or another database package to handle a smple SQL database
> > without a DSN.
>
> AFAIK, MySQL must be installed as root, so if it's not still there ..
> mSQL costs for just every private user a license fee.
> I'm not aware of others to be installed by you in your home directory.
> (Berkeley DB has no SQL, and very simple, but it's free on most Unix
> systems.)

I think that postgresql can be installed and run as a user if you can
compile from source, but be aware that it is big.  The final installed
size of the whole package, including development stuff, on my Mandrake
Linux box is about 12.5MB.  If you have a small quota, it will chew it
up in a big hurry.

The main site for postgresql is http://www.postgresql.org, there is
a link to a pre-release version of an upcoming book on postgresql
at http://www.postgresql.org/doxlist.html.

Hope this helps,

Mike

--
Michael Zawrotny
411 Molecular Biophysics Building
Florida State University		| email:  zawrotny at sb.fsu.edu
Tallahassee, FL 32306-4380		| phone:  (850) 644-0069