[URGENT]: Setting PYTHONHOME and PYTHONLIB

Thomas Wouters thomas at xs4all.net
Sat Jul 8 18:13:35 EDT 2000

On Thu, Jul 06, 2000 at 09:21:19AM +0200, Manuel Perera wrote:

> I'm using Debian in a machine, where I'm not root. I need to set the
> variables PYTHONHOME
> and PYTHONLIB , I've uncompressed the packages python-base...deb and
> python-base..tk... in
> /tmp/python, so I have this kind of directory structure:
> /tmp/python/usr/bin/python
> /tmp/python/usr/lib/python ...

> Any help would be gratefully welcomed.

What exactly do you need help with ? What isn't working ? What have you
tried ? You do need to set the PYTHONHOME variable, but PYTHONLIB shouldn't
be necessary (I doubt it does anything.) PYTHONHOME should be
'/tmp/python/usr' in your case, I believe. Don't forget to set your shells
PATH to include '/tmp/python/bin' either. And lastly, /tmp is probably not a
good place for this: it's likely to be cleaned up every few days or so. So
you might eventually experience mysteriously disappearing files... ;)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net>