Python-Perl merger

ben at co.and.co ben at co.and.co
Thu Jul 20 12:57:25 EDT 2000

Washington, 2000-07-20. FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE.

Python's leading development engineer and testbot, Guido van Rossum,
announced the merger between Python and Perl after leaving the
Pythonlabs, located in New Holland, Texas.

"I really got to go home now, Larry's waiting for dinner.
Anyway, yes, we decided to merge. After all, we've been married 1,5
month now, longer than I thought we would. After the recent addition
of diacritical operators to python [1], and the Larry's decision to put
significant whitespace into Perl 6 [2], we thought it was time for a
merger. Like, you see, now we're married, it's time for our kids to get
along. They're kind of twins right now, and they keep coming closer
together. We don't want to hinder their growth, so we decided for a
merger, for the best of all four of us."

Larry Wall, former industrial preacher and head of the Perl monks, told
our reporter:

"'See, I'm kind op the romantic type, and Guido is more a strong,
rational person, but in the end we really match together, and so do our
kids. You know, at a certain point in live, you learn there's a thin
line between love and hate, but if you succeed to match reason and
romance, life's full of roses. Hey, Guido, that's a good name: Prose"

"Nah, I'd rather want something really funny, like Bean or something."

"Oh no, this doesn't match P.*, and Pean is kind of stupid."

"Stupid, stupid. Who put $_ in his language?"

"So, that's the tune. Now, let me tell you about
map(filter(reduce(lambda))). Looks like hell to parse to me."

[ Our reporter escaped from the scene alive. Latest rumours call for the
  name "A flat", although we can't confirm this yet. ]

[1] http://x51.deja.com/=dnc/[ST_rn=ps]/threadmsg_ct.xp?AN=648419950.1&mhitnum=4&CONTEXT=964109742.361889964
[2]http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=00/07/19/203221&cid=37

[ if you can't understand what's this all about, you probably speak
  Dutch, just like me :-) ]
--
ben . de . rydt at pandora . be ------------------ your comments
http://users.pandora.be/bdr/ ------- inl. IPv6, Linux en Pandora