Wishlist sumbission form?

thomas at xs4all.net.bbs thomas at xs4all.net.bbs
Mon Jul 17 06:00:02 EDT 2000

On Sun, Jul 16, 2000 at 10:35:23PM -0500, Paul Prescod wrote:
> Matthew Cline wrote:

> > Is there any way of submitting feature requests for Python,
> > other than by filing a bug report?

> I don't think so. If it is a very targeted request, you could try the
> but report route.

Actually, the buglist (Jitterbug, on www.python.org) as a 'Requests'
section for feature requests. It gets looked at every now and then, too.

> If it is large and arguable, you should probably post it here and get some
> people to support it. If its good, someone will implement it. In open
> source software, only the features that developers are interested in get
> implemented so a wish list might well get ignored anyhow. It's not that
> nobody cares what you think it's that there's an infinite list of wishes
> so people tend to attack them in the order in order of personal interest
> or widespread demand.

Actually, I have no problem with implementing features which I think are
good features, even though I would never use them. Or features that *might*
be good. As long as I can test it (ie, they run on Linux or BSDI without
dependencies on weird hardware or non-free software) I don't have much
trouble with implementing it.

But that's just me ;) Of course, if you know a little C, the Python source
is incredibly easy to understand and extend. And a great tool for learning
C, as well.

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net>