a more comprehensive distribution?

Peter Schneider-Kamp peter at schneider-kamp.de
Wed Jul 19 12:15:10 EDT 2000

Oivvio Polite wrote:

> I've been working with python for a couple of months now.
> My only real annoyce is the constant need to locate and install python
> modules.

Hopefully distutil will make the installation part easier in the future.

> I'd like to get my hands on a distribution that includes a lot more then the
> standard library, somthing that comes with Numpy, ScientificPython, mxODBC,
> mxDateTime, a lot of other stuff I don't know about yet.

Such a "batteries included" version is considered for Python 2.0. In
some days there will be a discussion of this here on comp.lang.python.

You can already take a look at the current plans in PEP 206
(Python Enhancement Proposal #6 for 2.0).

You can browse the PEPs via the CVS web interface (or in you
own CVS version, if you check out one):
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/python/nondist/peps/?cvsroot=python

Peter
--
Peter Schneider-Kamp          ++47-7388-7331
Herman Krags veg 51-11        mailto:peter at schneider-kamp.de
N-7050 Trondheim              http://schneider-kamp.de