Hey folks! Read This For Pointers to Python 2.0, PEPs, etc

Skip Montanaro skip at mojam.com
Wed Jul 19 16:48:53 EDT 2000

    ric> It's bad it's so hard, hard, hard to find current information about
    ric> Python on the web starting from would-be obvious points.
    ric> (Exercise: starting from www.python.org/, find anything "mainstream"
    ric> about Python 2, or "Python-dev" ... :-( )
    ric> (By "mainstream" I mean something like "What's new in Python 2.0" -
    ric> yes I eventally was lucky enough to get a hand on that one -- or
    ric> "table of PEP documents/proposals/..." -- these items are still
    ric> wanted, if they exist.)

Please note (everyone!) that Python is still in a major transition stage at
the moment:

* Guido and his band of merriment have left CNRI for BeOpen.

* http://www.python.org is still at CNRI, Guido, Barry, et al can no longer
  just fiddle some bits on the web site to magically make new pointers
  available.

* CNRI and BeOpen were (last I heard) still in discussion about the handoff
  of the technology (hence the delayed release of Python 1.6 and/or 2.0).

* The PEP stuff is *brand new* - less than a week old.  The only way I know
  of to get the current PEPs is via CVS from SourceForge.

The first place you should look for details about what Guido and the BeOpen
gang are doing with Python is http://www.pythonlabs.com/.  It has a What's
New page (click the Technology link on the front page) as well as directions
for grabbing the latest CVS sources from SourceForge.  The Python project
page at SourceForge is https://sourceforge.net/project/?group_id=5470.

Hope this helps...

--
Skip Montanaro, skip at mojam.com, http://www.mojam.com/, http://www.musi-cal.com/
"To get what you want you must commit yourself for sometime" - fortune cookie