Perl is worse!

William Tanksley wtanksle at dolphin.openprojects.net
Fri Jul 28 18:38:32 EDT 2000

On Fri, 28 Jul 2000 18:15:56 GMT, Steve Lamb wrote:
>On Fri, 28 Jul 2000 18:57:33 +0200, Alex Martelli <alex at magenta.com> wrote:

>>a single string, but the % operator has the advantage of being
>>easily tailorable

>   I never did like the whole placeholder for actual values in print
>statements or other similar constructs.  I fail to see why one must do that
>instead of putting what you want there.

Of course, you can also do that -- just use concatenation.  Instead of

 "%s%s" % (var1,var2)

just use

 var1 + str(var2)

But that's an entirely seperate issue.

>>Two days?  It must be _at least_ 20 years that people on Usenet are putting
>>down other languages (and operating systems, applications, computers, etc)
>>for what they consider wrong.  Would you have us put them down for what we
>>consider _right_?-)

>    Yeah, yeah, I know this is Usenet.  So sue me for once in my life not
>wanting to have to come into a new culture and atmosphere without having
>everything that I have learned and liked up to this point blasted at every
>corner for some ego building, ok?  I think I've been at least fair to Python,
>all things consider.  I really do like the language, I guess I was just hoping
>too much from the people.

That's a really cruel statement for you to make.  I hope you were making
it in jest.  I've seen nothing to indicate anything waranting this kind of
attack.

>>That Python has this specific wart does not mean that a language that
>>has analogous and worse ones in a thousand places is just the same,
>>of course:-).

>    I'm not saying it is the same.  I am just refuting claims that Python
>doesn't have then and that they are, senseless, wretched, horrible or any
>other negative description people care to place on it.  It is different and as
>someone (you, mayhap?) said that even typing isn't good in all cases.

I know and like languages with far, FAR less typing than Perl (Forth has
absolutely none).  I don't like Perl.  I like Python.  I like ML.

Perhaps the issue isn't typing at all.

--
-William "Billy" Tanksley