PythonWin/Scintilla aggressive folding...

Neil Hodgson neilh at scintilla.org
Wed Jul 26 03:23:47 EDT 2000

> If you assumed that comments were not "level neutral", would that fix it
for
> me?  Maybe this could be an option, a flag of somesort called
> "LevelNeutralComments"???  Is this a work-around-patch-fix that would
> satisfy more than me?  Would a different type of comment (like a double or
> triple sharp?) also help?

   Yes, a patch like this could help for your code. I introduced the level
neutral comments idea after developing the original strictly indentation
based code and using it on example files. First blank lines had to become
level neutral as lots of functions and methods have blank lines. Then I
found lots of commented out bits so made the comment lines work like blank
lines. Another heuristic that may be light weight would be that comment
lines try to bind in a forwards direction but this may require some
look-ahead.

> ...I'm cool with that...  But I have a feeling that I might have a memory
or
> performance issue if I start sprinkling "triple-quote comments" all over
the
> place like that.  Is this the case?  Maybe the triple-sharp comment idea
> would be better??

   I think they bulk the compiled code up a bit but I doubt whether its
significant.

   Neil