Discussion: new operators for numerical computation

Robin Becker robin at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk
Thu Jul 20 10:52:55 EDT 2000

In article <8l6vul$5ig$1 at slb3.atl.mindspring.net>, Aahz Maruch
<aahz at netcom.com> writes
>In article <Pine.LNX.4.10.10007191505070.1129-100000 at rocket.knowledgetrack.com>,
>Huaiyu Zhu  <huaiyu_zhu at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>        matrix          element      names (with prefix m or e)
>>          +               .+            add
>>          -               .-            sub
>
>I am strongly opposed to operators of the form ".+".  What happens if
>take an expression of the form "5.+matrix"?  No, that goes against the
>Python rule of having zero ambiguity.
>--
>                      --- Aahz (Copyright 2000 by aahz at netcom.com)

people keep talking about matrix operations as though there is only one
way to do one kind of matrix multiply; I use at least two (inner, outer)
commonly, but others eg Kronecker or Lie are certainly in use. I don't
think any proposal which doesn't address this is likely to get my vote.
--
Robin Becker