Perl is worse!

Steve Lamb grey at despair.rpglink.com
Sat Jul 29 22:21:54 EDT 2000

On Sat, 29 Jul 2000 22:18:31 GMT, Joshua Macy <amused at webamused.com> wrote:
>  So it's not the term itself you find offensive, but the way it's
>used?  It sounds to me like what you're objecting to is the mere fact
>that some people dislike the behavior that Larry Wall calls "automagic",
>not that they use the same term that he does to describe that behavior.

    What, is this forum a place where context means nothing and everything,
including natural language, has to be typed to death.  Let me give you a basic
example.  Nigger.  Offensive or not?  Hmm, tell me, is it?

    Marcelus Wallus - "You my nigger?"

    Whoops, guess it isn't in some contexts, now is it?  What I object to is
their stating that it is a bad thing when it is not, it is just different, and
that was a term that I was unfamiliar with that they were clearly using in the
negative based on context.