Matlab vs Python (was RE: Discussion: Introducing new operators for matrix computation)

Eric Lorenzo zo at angband.org
Mon Jul 17 17:27:10 EDT 2000

Charles Boncelet <boncelet at eecis.udel.edu> writes:
> Let's get some facts (yes, I know we are not supposed to let facts
> interfere with our arguments on usenet):

[Relative popularity measurements deleted.]

These metrics are meaningless.  You're comparing the popularity of
Matlab, the most popular tool for its problem domain (numerical
computing), to Python, which (unfortunately) isn't even close to the
most popular tool for its problem domain (general-purpose scripting
and programming).  I'd imagine that establishing that there is a high
level of interest in this domain would be a prerequisite for
convincing anyone to add the desired features.  But your metrics don't
tell us anything at all about the relative level of interest in the
numerical computing domain, and are thus useless for your apparent
purpose.  Compare Python+Perl+Tcl+Java+C+C++ to Matlab+(Any other
languages targeted towards the numerical computing problem domain.
Mathematica?), and you might have something half-worthwhile.

Eric