Small learning project

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Tue Jul 18 15:08:52 EDT 2000

Anyone looking for a few hours of work as a Python learning opportunity?
I have a simple text processing problem which is relatively interesting
because it will give you a chance to learn about some Python internals
(without requiring you to already be an expert in them). I would do it
myself but I'm supposed to be working on a book.

The idea is to make a prototype of a tool that generates LaTeX
documentation for the Python documentation system from modules, classes,
functions signatures and their docstrings. We've already got the code to
do the extracting of that stuff from modules (weird magic). We've also
got something that will generate HTML from the modules. Now we just need
someone to port that tool to LaTeX. It's only 300 lines of code but its
a relatively dense 300 lines.

You don't really need to know LaTeX although a little LaTeX knowledge
would be helpful and having enough LaTeX knowledge to be able to test
would be cool too. But even without that, you could get to the 90% mark
just by looking at existing LaTeX files in the library (I can send you
some) and then someone else with more LaTeX skill can finish off the
details.

Once the tool is done, I'll try to get it added to the Python
documentation system. This would allow module writers to write their
documentation once, in docstrings and will allow the Python
documentation maintainers to get the LaTeX they need for their various
format deliverables. I don't have the authority (any authority!) to
promise it will be included, but I don't see why it wouldn't become an
instant hit. There is even the possibility that it might be included
with the Python standard library, alongside all of your favorite
modules!

There's no deadline on the project but its only a few hours so if you
can't get to it for a while, better to leave it to someone who can do it
in the next week.

If you are interested, contact me. I've got some URLs and ideas on the
best approach to help you to achieve maximum productivity.
Just how compassionate can a Republican get before he has to leave the
GOP and join Vegans for Global Justice? ... One moment, George W. Bush
is holding a get-to-know-you meeting with a bunch of gay Republicans.
The next he is holding forth on education or the environment ... It is
enough to make a red-blooded conservative choke on his spotted-owl
drumstick.     - April 29th, Economist