Newbie question, Getting Started?

richard_chamberlain richard_chamberlain at ntlworld.com
Sat Jul 22 07:35:30 EDT 2000

Hi Al,

>> For example, where do I write a simple MessageBox program

This may not be as simple as you'd expect Python has a number of extensions
which enable it to have a graphical user interface, one of these Tkinter
you'll have installed already.

Tkinter is a complicated subject so you'll need a book. But to satisfy your
desire for a message box:

from tkMessageBox import showinfo
showinfo("Howdy!", "Welcome to Python")

Don't run this through PythonWin or Idle, run it through windows explorer.

>>Can I write Python 1.5.2 or Tcl executable programs that can be run on
>> a PC that does not have python installed?

Kind of. There is a thing called freeze.py which turns your python code into
c code which you can compile if you have a c compiler. That probably doesn't
fit your bill, so there is python module called installer which will convert
it into a standalone file plus some extensions. Also ActiveState recently
announced something that will do it as well.

I don't think it's something you should worry about at the moment though.

Good Luck

Richard

news:8lbtqg$2drj$1 at earth.superlink.net...