Matlab vs Python (was RE: Discussion: Introducing new operators f

olivierS.dagenaisP at canadaA.comM.bbs olivierS.dagenaisP at canadaA.comM.bbs
Mon Jul 17 15:30:06 EDT 2000

I have been following this thread for a while, and I thought of something:

Maybe the solution isn't to modify Python (although the ability to overload
arbitrary operators might be cool), but to create a "solution" that
understands these new operators and can still run Python code.

We can write a "MatrixPython compiler" (or maybe it would be a
pre-processor) that takes a file that uses Huaiyu's operators and spews out
"normal" Python code.  The "compiler" would pass through all non-matrix
specific code and substitute matrix operators with function calls or
something.

Just an idea...
Olivier A. Dagenais - Carleton University - Computer Science III

"Bjorn Pettersen" wrote in message news:39735D6E.8E3349D9 at roguewave.com...
> Huaiyu Zhu wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > As to the claim that additional operators for linear algebra is somehow
> > comparable to the special syntaxes/quirks of various programming
languages,
> > no real argument has been presented so far.  It's more like: If I don't
care
> > and don't use such things, they must belong to a special domain and be
> > somehow comparable to some other things that I do know and dislike.
>
> On the contrary. The argument is something like the following:
>
>  - Python is a general purpose language, and as such it can't
>    support special case syntax for Matrix/cgi/xml/db programming.
>    (special syntax has previously been requested for both cgi and
>    db programming).
[snip]