[FAQTS] Python Knowledge Base Update -- July 2nd, 2000

Fiona Czuczman fiona at sitegnome.com
Sun Jul 2 21:10:20 EDT 2000

Hi Guys.

The FAQTs knowledge base continues to grow.  Currently 265 questions and
answers.

http://python.faqts.com

Cheers,

Fiona Czuczman

## New Entries #################################################

When executing a command with os.system how can I capture the output into a python variable?
http://www.faqts.com/knowledge-base/view.phtml/aid/4152
Fiona Czuczman
Mark Hammond, Grant Edwards

You want "popen".  For non-windows platforms, "os.popen" is where you
can find it.  For Win32 systems, you need the win32 extensions, and
"win32pipe.popen".

The commands module has a nice function that runs a program and returns
the exit status and output as a tuple.

Is there a way of making a MS-DOS box recognise the Python script as an executable file so I can just use the name "script.py"?
http://www.faqts.com/knowledge-base/view.phtml/aid/4153
Fiona Czuczman
Mark Hammond

Under Windows NT or Win2k, you can use the PATHEXT environment variable.
Simply add ".py" to the semi-colon sep'd list of extensions, and off you
go!

What is the best way of setting default options of widgets?
http://www.faqts.com/knowledge-base/view.phtml/aid/4151
Fiona Czuczman
richard_chamberlain

You can use an option database. If you create a file called optionDB
with for example the following kind of entries:

*font:                   Times New Roman
*Button*foreground       blue
*foreground              black

You can then apply these via

root.option_readfile('optionDB')