Discussion: new operators for numerical computation

Pete Shinners pete at visionart.com
Thu Jul 20 17:15:29 EDT 2000

> (*)  outer product
> (.)  inner product
> (|)  matrix solve
> (**) matrix power

heh, in an effort to keep this discussion from being "half-assed" (HA)
i'd like to voice that i also think this syntax is very useful
and very clean. i'd be glad to see it come around for the next
big release

but while we're at it, i would hope that we don't overlook the
potential of elementwise assignment operators. sometimes those
matrices can get rather large, and rather than create a new
temporary matrix for every operation, it would be nice to have
it done "in place"

MatrixA (*)= MatrixB
MatrixA (.)= MatrixB

has this taken things too far? with python2 coming with the
"standard" assignment operators, i'd love to see these ones
come along with the pack