"always passes by reference"

Greg Ewing to_get_my_address at see.my.signature
Thu Jul 27 01:57:49 EDT 2000

Tim Peters wrote:

> Anyone thinking about references under the covers
> is just confusing their mental picture -- only the implementers have to
> worry about that, and even then rarely.

How can you have a correct mental picture of the Python
data model that doesn't contain anything corresponding
to a reference?

Whether you call it that or not, there has to be something
in the model that is not-the-object but somehow identifies-
the-object, so that the object can appear in more than one
place at a time without having multiple copies of it.

--
Greg Ewing, Computer Science Department,
University of Canterbury, New Zealand