Perl is worse!

Steve Lamb grey at despair.rpglink.com
Sun Jul 30 20:28:53 EDT 2000

On Sun, 30 Jul 2000 02:33:57 -0400, Karl Ulbrich <kulbrich at yahoo.com> wrote:
>Perhaps Alex should have said "a variable containing None can also be
>converted [to an integer]", but the intent (solving your problem)
>was clear.

    Right, just wanted to make sure that I understood what was really
happening, didn't mean to refute Alex.

>Easy. As an example, suppose your program processes 400 MB worth
>of http logs each day (not an uncommon task), but extracts and logs
>only a fraction of that for long-term storage (daily logs are not deemed
>worthy of permanent backups).

    Actually, if I were to use Python to process our logs it would be closer
to 1.5Gb which is very compressable with GZIP.  We do keep them on record for
at least a month, sometimes 2-3, but have them on tape going back quite a
while.  Never know when one might have to pull logs for legal reasons.  They
/need/ to be kept.

    But I digress.  Let's just write it off as a difference of opinion.