zip() : how about braid()

Peter Schneider-Kamp peter at schneider-kamp.de
Thu Jul 20 04:16:31 EDT 2000

Michal Wallace wrote:

> I accidentally deleted the list of proposed names for "zip()", so I'm
> not sure if this was alrady mentioned..  I think merge makes sense,
> (and I don't really have a problem with zip()), but the metaphor that
> most closely resembles what it does is braid(), as in hair..

Ooh, difficult one for some non-native english speaker
(and surely for those non-english speaker).

I didn't know what it meant when I first heard it, but
even then the connotation seems to be wrong for some people:

braid([1,2,3], [4,5,6], [7,8,9]) == [[1,4,7], [2,8,5], [9,3,6]]

Peter
--
Peter Schneider-Kamp          ++47-7388-7331
Herman Krags veg 51-11        mailto:peter at schneider-kamp.de
N-7050 Trondheim              http://schneider-kamp.de