"always passes by reference"

Huaiyu Zhu hzhu at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Jul 28 19:11:13 EDT 2000

On 28 Jul 2000 21:37:11 GMT, Donn Cave <donn at u.washington.edu> wrote:
>Quoth hzhu at users.sourceforge.net (Huaiyu Zhu):
>| IMHO, the name/object dichotomy is much more descriptive for python than the
>| reference/value dichotomy.
>
>What about references that have no name, in lists and tuples?
>
>	Donn Cave, donn at u.washington.edu

I see your point.  The elements of sequences dictionaries are references
with no names, or you can so they are references stored in structured names.
:-)

My point is that in many other languages the variables take the central role
- you can store values or references in them, while in python the objects
take the central role - you can refer to them by names or elements of data
structures or pass the references around by assignments or function
arguments, etc.

Huaiyu