Perl is worse! (was: Python is Wierd!)

Gregory Lielens gregory.lielens at fft.be
Fri Jul 28 04:44:02 EDT 2000

Chris Lawrence wrote:
[Snip]

> >    I just don't understand how people can advocate for types and the
> >restrictions they impose while, on the other hand, embracing a language that
> >is free enough to shoot yourself in the foot by reassigning None.
>
> Hmm, works in JPython too.  And Python 2.0b1.  Maybe it's a feature ;-)
>
> Frankly, I don't know how you'd get None back.  And it will play havoc
> with things:
>
> None = 1
> if None:
>   print 'Hello'
>
> I suspect Guido will tell you, "don't do that." ;-)
>
> Chris

It seems that del(None) do the trick...
By the way, I am almost a complete Python beginner, so my knowledge of
Python syntax is far -really far- from complete...
I just tried undef(None), got a NameError, then del(None) and whohaa!
"Second guess without reading the doc works" sure sounds like a good
language design / function name choice to me!

Greg.