The State of Python

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Fri Jul 28 19:33:17 EDT 2000

[Stian Husemoen]
> I bow to the timbot for it's skills to dodge my puny troll-like
> flamebait postings <wink>

I can only dodge what I can see coming.  Really, the Python community should
debate the merits of the GPL and LGPL vigorously -- the thing that tripped
you up here is that they already have <wink>.  The point is moot here anyway
as Guido doesn't hold the Python copyright, so really has no direct say in
the matter.  There's a lesson there *somewhere* for new Open Source projects

> But another question.. You say the new license will be GPL
> compatible. What does this mean exactly?

It's easy to define precisely but almost impossible to explain:  our license
is GPL compatible when and only when RMS sends an email saying "Yes, this
license is compatible with the GPL".  We leave that to him to decide, as it
should be.  In practical terms, if you take package P under license L, and
package Q under the GPL, L is GPL-compatible if you can distribute the
combined package P+Q under the GPL with violating any of the obligations
imposed on you by L.  You can do that with CPython today (thanks to the old
CWI Python license), but not with JPython (thanks to the CNRI JPython
license).  Last I heard, RMS thought the proposed new CNRI CPython license
was incompatible with the GPL, but, also last I heard, CNRI and RMS were
still working to resolve that.  BeOpen PythonLabs is determined not to
accept a license unless it's GPL compatible: but I don't know CNRI's
position on this.

> the-AI-serves-you-well-ly y'rs

thanks-but-unfortunately-courts-don't-recognize-bots<wink>-ly y'rs  - tim