Perl is worse!

Paul Foley see at below
Sun Jul 30 22:03:34 EDT 2000

On Sun, 30 Jul 2000 16:33:52 GMT, Grant Edwards wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Jul 2000 08:57:27 GMT, Steve Lamb <grey at despair.rpglink.com> wrote:
>> On 30 Jul 2000 18:31:37 +1200, Paul Foley <see at below> wrote:
>>> Isn't it?  Are you sure about that?
>>
>> Considering some of the conversations I've sat in on with
>> my friends, no, it isn't in some contexts.  I can provide more
>> examples if you /really/ want to be that intentionally obtuse.

> Steve is correct.  In my experience it is not only inoffensive
> in some contexts, it has a positive connotation and means
> someting along the lines of what "mate" means in Australia.

Well, I say you're both wrong.  Sure, the intent is not to offend, but
the meaning isn't changed.  It's like calling someone a "son of a
bitch" and similar intentionally offensive terms in a "friendly"
context; something that's quite common as some sort of group-bonding
behaviour, or something (ask a sociologist).

--
Cogito ergo I'm right and you're wrong.               -- Blair Houghton

(setq reply-to
  (concatenate 'string "Paul Foley " "<mycroft" '(#\@) "actrix.gen.nz>"))