[Python-Dev] Coercion (RE: Discussion: Introducing new operators for matrix computation)

Greg Ewing see at my.signature
Thu Jul 20 21:33:56 EDT 2000

"M.-A. Lemburg" wrote:

> decentralize coercion and
> make the coercion process part of the operators task.
>
> Thoughts ?

I agree completely. There's no need at all to centralise
coercion, and most of the time it just gets in the way.

While you're at it, get rid of the special-case code
for number*sequence, which has the same problem. I once
implemented a matrix-like extension type, and I had
great difficulty getting it to behave like a sequence
for indexing purposes while having number*matrix do
what I wanted.

Christchurch, New Zealand
http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/~greg