Will NumPy ever be built into standard Python dist?

ben at co.and.co ben at co.and.co
Thu Jul 27 13:11:15 EDT 2000

Moshe Zadka <moshez at math.huji.ac.il> wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Jul 2000, Richard P. Muller wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know whether there are plans to make NumPy part of the
>> standard Python distribution?
>
> I'm currently working on PEP 206, "Sumo interpreter", which is a souce
> distribution with many useful modules. For more information, see
> http://python.sourceforge.net/peps/

Not totally related, but maybe it should be handy to have some kind of
über-library, which is regulated by a über-senate.

The über-library should contain:
1. usefull extensions, which can't be distributed with the core
   distribution because of:
   a. size
   b. generality: is it usefull for every-one, or only for a few.
   c. copyright: f.i. GPL'ed software components.
   Examples: PIL, PAL, NumPy, ...
2. HoeDoe's (Dutch for "How Do (I do that?)"):
   small modules, with one pratictal purpose/goal:
   Examples:
   - a mail-sending module, which does all mime-stuff automagically,
     and finds a suitable smtp-server by itself.
   - a play-module: play a WAVE on all supported platforms.

The über-senate would:
1. garanty the quality of the submissions.
2. organise the über-library.
3. keep style consistent, and keep an eye on portability.
4. tries to hint which areas needs work.
5. keep the hands of python-dev free, so they can cope with
   core language / standard python library issues.

Thus, the Vaults of Parnassus with quality control.

Greetings,
--
ben . de . rydt at pandora . be ------------------ your comments
http://users.pandora.be/bdr/ ------- inl. IPv6, Linux en Pandora