Python license (was RE: Python plug-ins for Adobe Products available)

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Sun Jul 30 20:25:53 EDT 2000

[Tim]
> We also want Python to remain GPL-*compatible*, and CNRI has changed
> some of the language in response to Richard Stallman's objections.

[Grant Griffin]
> The following pointed question is directed at CNRI, not
> you, Tim, but...
>
>    _Who died and left *Stallman* in charge_?

I don't think CNRI reads comp.lang.python, so I guess I'll have to take a
crack at it myself:  we did <wink -- although we're not quite dead yet!>.
AFAIK, asking RMS to get involved was our idea, not CNRI's.  So don't blame
them for this one!  Many dozens of Python projects rely on GPL compatibility
today, and we don't want to see them get screwed.  While I'm not directly
involved in the negotiations, I've seen much of the email traffic about it,
and RMS has been extremely helpful in explaining his concerns and even
suggesting specific changes to CNRI's language that he would accept.  If GPL
compatibility is something you want to assure, can you think of anyone
better to ask than RMS?  I sure can't.  Whether you like him or not, he's
the most competent enitity in the universe to address GPL issues.  And he's
been a good friend to Python despite that it wasn't released under a GNU
license.

> p.p.s.  BTW, as an old-timer, "OSI" means "Ohio Scientific
> Incorporated" to me -- they made my beloved first computer,
> the Superboard II.

Ya, and if they had developed that under the GPL, we'd all be using the GNU
OSI Superboard MM today <wink>.

some-days-thinking-there's-more-death-than-birth-in-this-field-ly
    y'rs  - tim