MatPy-0.2.10 released: Matrix package for Python

Huaiyu Zhu hzhu at knowledgetrack.com
Fri Jul 7 15:42:58 EDT 2000

Release Note:

0.2.10 fixes bugs in Windows.

This affects other users as well because the file gnuplot.py is renamed to
gplot.py to avoid name clashes in Windows.

This now definitely works in Windows NT, as I have tested. Just 'make
installmod' is sufficient for use in Python.

Under CygWin, simply typing 'make install' get me as far as generating the
postscript docs with all the graphics. Had I installed ps2pdf and latex2html
it would go all the way through.

from README file:

       MatPy -- Matrix package for Python with MatLab-like interface
                     http://MatPy.sourceforge.net

           (C) 2000 Huaiyu Zhu <hzhu at users.sourceforge.net>

                     GNU Public License version 2
                (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.txt)

MatPy is a python package that provides MatLab-like interface for linear
algebra and plotting wrapped around the Numeric, Gnuplot and SpecialFuncs
packages.  The expressions involving matrices and vectors resemble written
mathematics.

The following are some highlights (as compared with Numeric package):

  o row vector = 1xn matrix, col vector = nx1 matrix
  o 1x1 matrix becomes number
  o slicing A[:,0], A[0,:] gives col and row vectors
  o assembles block matrices from submatrices
  o A+B, A-B, A*B, A/B and A**n are as in linear algebra
  o matrix functions expm, sqrtm, ...
  o complex matrices behave correctly for both matrix and element functions.
  o provide special methods for element-wise operations
  o easy interface to gnuplot
  o accepts NaN and Inf
  o a MatLab-like interactive console (with help, demo, ...)
  o uses special functions from cephes
  o classes of probability distributions
  o user specified format for matrix elements

Background:

Python is very elegant for OO programming but its Numeric package has a
tricky interface for numerical linear algebra.  On the other hand MatLab (or
its open source cousin Octave) are well tailored for such tasks.  It is not
clear to me how to interface python with Octave.  So I wrote this package to
provide a MatLab-like interface wrapped around Numeric.

Huaiyu Zhu                       hzhu at users.sourceforge.net
Matrix for Python Project        http://MatPy.sourceforge.net