Operators for everything (was Re: Operators for matrix)

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Fri Jul 21 14:55:12 EDT 2000

Michael Hudson wrote:

> The semantics would be:
>
> a @<id> b === <id>(a,b)
>
> for any valid identifier <id>.
>
> There are still precedence issues, but I think they can be ignored
> (make everything of this from the same (low) precedence & left
> asssociative).

I like this idea. Is it appropriate to have just the whitespace as the
delimiter though?

It also seems like it could be combined (perhaps painfully) with the
requirement that some operators take parameters:

a @foo(x,y) b

"Hardly anything more unwelcome can befall a scientific writer than
having the foundations of his edifice shaken after the work is
finished.  I have been placed in this position by a letter from
Mr. Bertrand Russell..."
 - Frege, Appendix of Basic Laws of Arithmetic (of Russell's Paradox)