Problem compiling Python 1.5.2?

William Dandreta wjdandreta at worldnet.att.net
Sun Jul 2 14:18:31 EDT 2000

I am having the following problem getting Python 1.5.2 to work correctly.

I am able to compile and link OK.

When I run Python with the -v switch the following messages appear
'import exceptions'  failed;  traceback:
ImportError: No modules named exceptions
Warning!  Falling back to string based exceptions
#c:\pyth152\python~1.2\lib\site.pyc matches
c:\pyth152\python~1.2\lib\site.py
import site # precompiled from c:\pyth152\python~1.2\lib\site.pyc
'import site'  failed; traceback:
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "c:\pyth152\python~1.2\lib\site.py", line 60 in ?
    import sys, os
SystemError bad argument to internal function
Python 1.5.2 (#0, Jul 2 2000, 13:27:07) [Borland] on dos
Copyright 1991-1995 Stichting Mathematisch  Centrum, Amsterdam

-----------
The exceptions.py file is in the search directory.  Could it be a DOS name
mangling problem?

I don't know what the SystemError means.

The Copyright does not cover to current date, I don't know if that indicates
a problem.
I played around with some arithmetic, strings, slices etc. and it all worked
correctly, so I think I am pretty close to getting it right.

When I exit Python, Win98 becomes unstable. It either locks up immediately
or a short time later in another program.

I am sure I did something wrong when I compiled but I don't have a clue as
to what that might be nor do I know what info would be useful in tracing
down the problem(s).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Bill