Operators for everything (was Re: Operators for matrix)

Greg Ewing see at my.signature
Thu Jul 20 22:03:10 EDT 2000

John Lull wrote:

> That problem extends far beyond linear algebra, & an ideal solution
> would be applicable to any problem domain in which infix notation is
> greatly preferable.

I second this. The matrix people are being accused of being
selfish by requesting core language extensions for their
particular domain. But that's not what they're asking for
at all.

Python with its overloadable operators can be thought of
as a meta-language for creating domain-specific languages.
But the number of operators is too restricted for it to
be really good in this role. Operator overloading feels like
something tacked on as an afterthought rather than a
serious feature. I don't think it's unreasonable
to consider whether this situation could be improved.

Personally, I think that language that's serious about
user-defined operators and mathematical domains should
allow the use of every operator character in the Symbol
font. If those characters are useful enough to be included
in a standard font, I think they deserve to be available in
a programming language, too!

In fact, I may just make this my next Python enhancement
project. Anyone know where I can get a Unicode-aware
editor for Mac or Unix?

Christchurch, New Zealand
http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/~greg