Discussion: new operators for numerical computation

Konrad Hinsen hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr
Thu Jul 20 12:13:43 EDT 2000

Tim Hochberg <tim.hochberg at ieee.org> writes:

> Although, there's a fair amount of "symbol" space in this kind of operator
> scheme, but there's still an issue in that for dimensions greater than
> two, there's no way to specify which axis to apply the inner products
> on. I'm not sure there's any good way to do that with infix notation though.

Again APL comes to the rescue: add indices to operators. For example,
(+.*)[0,2] would be an inner product along axis 0 of the left operand
and axis 2 of the right one. On the other hand, I am not convinced
that such things are really that useful - you can always transpose
your arrays prior to applying complex operators. I would leave such
sophistications out of the discussion for now; one can always add them
later if there is really a need.
Konrad Hinsen                            | E-Mail: hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr