Content of the Perl6 talk

Andreas Kupries a.kupries at westend.com
Mon Jul 31 14:29:04 EDT 2000

Dan Kuchler <kuchler at ajubasolutions.com> writes:

> Andreas Kupries wrote:

>> <quote http://www.perl.org/perl6/initial_meeting.html>
>>> Syntax separation - multiple syntaxes ?  Perl6 offers the
>>> possibility to ... write Perl programs in multiple syntaxes such
>>> as Python, JavaScript, and Perl5 ...

 >> This reminds me of Guile, which tried to do the same thing, no ?
 >> Universal lisp engine below, multiple formats for programming it
 >> above. Here just with the perl engine below. A try to unify
 >> interpreters ? See also Jean-Claude's Minotaur, using a forth
 >> engine below and beside interpreters for several scripting
 >> languages to allow them to use each other (and their extensions)
 >> hither and fro. With the long-term goal to make each interpreter a
 >> set of routines above the universal forth engine below. Hm.

Looking at my post and this I think that I came across as being
opposed to this. I am not. I don't think that I will have time to
actively participate in such an effort [*] but I will follow them with
interest.

[*] Maybe indirectly through working on the tcl core.

 > I understood this to mean that for perl 6 they might try to
 > architect it into a front-end/back-end style where the front-end has
 > a parsing engine (and translator to byte codes or some intermediary
 > language?)  and then the backend provides the code for actually
 > implementing the various commands.

Exactly. This is that guile tries to do too.

--
Sincerely,
	Andreas Kupries <a.kupries at westend.com>