Python plug-ins for Adobe Products available

Grant Munsey gmunsey at punkalunka.org
Sun Jul 30 15:32:05 EDT 2000

> While I'll grant that this is a good first step for Adobe, these
> are simply add-ons for proprietary software.  The add-ons are
> often available under moderate licenses.

Thanks for the compliment ... it wasn't exactly easy to convince Adobe
that they should have an open source site. I'm hoping it will grow as time
goes on.

"simply add-ons", it wasn't exactly simple to do these since the APIs are
somewhat Baroque. In fact there is a pretty complete scheme that uses
Python code to produce wrapper C++ code for many of the API calls.
This might be useful for someone who finds SWIGs allowable parameter
types a bit to restrictive.

I said the license is liberal because I'm happy it turned out that way ...
lot
of time with corporate lawyers, etc. I don't really like GPL because IHMO
it isn't liberal ... just replaces one set of restrictions with another.
Please  no
flames on this topic it's been beaten to death.

> Meanwhile, there are existing free software projects that could
> use help.

I wrote the plug-ins for the Adobe products because I wanted them.

I made them available because some people were interested and I thought
that some others might be as well.

If you want to help Gimp, Sketch, Broadcast 2000, VTK, whatever then ...
go to it!

What really worries me is the wrangling over the Python license ... one of
the
reasons I went for Python in a big way was the non restrictive license.

news:8m06l3$8s4$1 at agate.berkeley.edu...